High Street - Lakes MTB Day 1 (36750)
High Street is one of the UK's classic high mountain rides. High Street rises to over 800m above the Cumbrian fells with sunning panoramas. The first half is unsuprisingly up hill; but this relents with some awesome grassy single track descents back to Ambleside (and a good slice of cake).
This is a high mountain ride, if it is too windy and wet to ride safely we will change our plans on the day and ride a lower level (but equally awesome) ride from Ambleside.
What to bring
You need your bike.... It needs to have knobbly tyres and at least front suspension. Please make sure it is in working order and you have any required spares and tools for you bike.
You need clothes suitable for the weather, even in summer it is worth taking a waterproof as it can be cold and windy on the tops.
If it's sunny remember sun cream.
Apart from your bike remember the following:.
- Puncture repair kit (or better still a spare inner tube) and tyre levers. Also any special tools that your bike needs.
- Food - bring small snacks such as chocolate bars and energy foods.
- A cycling bottle attached to your bike and plenty of water (minimum 2lts)
- Eye protection - impact from a bee, grit or even a fly at speed is extremely unpleasant, sunglasses may do if not made of glass and not too shaded.
- Clothing: choose suitable clothes and footwear for the weather forecast and time of year. You will be exercising so lightweight layered clothing is best. Shorts are best even in rain, as they allow free movement of your legs. Jeans are useless if it rains but tracksuit bottoms need to be not too baggy or they may snag in the chain and cause an accident. You'll need trainers or similar with grippy soles for standard pedals.
- Cyclist's Helmet - Outdoorlads policy asks you to wear a helmet events.
- Bag you will need a small day-sack (or panniers on your own bike) to carry essential clothing, water and an emergency snack.
Food & Drink
There are no shops high in the mountains so bring enough food and drink for a day of hard MTB. We will enjoy a cake stop at the end.
Meeting & Times
This event does not come with accommodation. A group of us will be staying the night inbetween. If you are interested in finding where we are staying please message the event leader.
- Event Reference No: